Translate

Monday, March 17, 2014

Best method for gluing hardbat rubbers

Today's topic will be more equipment review focused as I've been fumbling with equipment in gluing my OX long pips.

Recently I glued two OX long pip sheets onto my blades. I used Air glue sheets. they both looked great. But after playing with one of them one night, I realized that I had an air bubble form. It must have been from the friction of the hitting.

I attempted to pull the rubber off and reattach it squeezing out the air bubble. I quickly realized that the topsheet pulled of just fine or rather easy. The gluesheet however had a death-grip onto my blade. For the record, Air gluesheets do not indicate if one side is stickier than the other. If you use these, do a test feel and  be sure to get the super sticky side on your rubber.

Knowing my blades had this issue going on bothered me enough to try to remove them. Thankfully I seal my blades which helped protect them in the removal process. I ended up using a hairdryer to heat the glue and using my fingers (later switched to erasers due to the raw fingers) to smudge it off.

The process was painfully slow. All in all it took me about a week to remove the gluesheets from both blades.


After that process I am done with gluesheets. The good news is that I've found a replacement method that works great based on this demonstration below.


Couple tips this video doesn't fully hit on that I found helped me a lot.
  • You must use a lot of glue or certainly enough to cover your blade or rubber in one dosage.
    • What you want to avoid is putting some on, spreading it around only to find you need more. By the time you put more on and begin spreading, your first layer might have begun to form or coagulate and you will not get a smooth layer.
    • Wetting your foam brush with just a little water helps make the glue a pinch thinner and easier to spread.
The great thing about putting on the OX rubber while it's still wet is that you get the opportunity to fine tune it's placement and really squeeze out any bubbles. You can't go wrong with this method. I recommend it.

FYI - I was able to buy a 6 oz bottle of Tear Mender from Walmart.com for just under $7. Great price.



No comments:

Post a Comment