Translate

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Understanding how learning works: Expect ups & downs

I had one of my best practice sessions last night. The type where not only are you executing what you are attempting at an astounding rate, I had a breakthrough in service in what will be a very dangerous serve for me. However, it has always been hard to execute well and of high quality. But not last night.

The old me in the past would have been all pumped up to go to club and show off my new skills. Not even factoring in the psychological differences in practice play vs games where there is naturally a little more tension and/or adrenaline running. However, in trying to work on the mental side of my game (tactics, mental approach, knowing how learning works, etc) I am better prepared for what is likely to happen... Early failure and inconsistency.

That's because progress is not a steady curve of upward mobility. if you think it is, you're in for a rude awakening.

What progress IS NOT What progress IS


I will give you an example of what happened to me about 2 months ago. One night at club I found that my RPB over the table loop on service return could not miss. I was flat out on. I thought I had cracked the code and would largely be able to perform it on almost any serve. After all, that's what was happening that night. Then the very next week at club I found the exact opposite. Time after time I was sending the ball long or into the net. In the end I told my training partner later that night "I think I fell in love with that shot that one week and maybe it's just not for me." So I essentially gave up on it or put it in my back pocket for a while. What I didn't realize at the time is that this is what learning looks like. You will have times, for reasons you cannot explain, it simply does not work.

Don't give up. maintain your technique and keep at it. Maybe you won't figure it out that night or the following night. Shoot you might find it seems like you've plateaued for weeks or longer. Then all of a sudden something will click and all of a sudden you're performing that new skill at a higher level than you ever were before. Now it's onto trying to take that skill to even the next level higher. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is the learning process. Recognize it and don't let it discourage you from where you're headed.

As a follow up, I encourage you to check out this podcast I'm a big fan of on experttabletennis.com ran by Ben Larcombe.

Here is an interview between two table tennis coaches, Ben Larcombe & Sean O'neal where they are talking about students they've had and what the learning & improvement process has been like. While I encourage you listen to this entire interview, if nothing else take note and listen to the 45:65 mark through 50:35. Their stories & comments echo what this post has been talking about with improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment