Translate

Monday, April 14, 2014

Over the table loop with traditional penhold backhand? Match analysis.

Over the previous several posts, I've discussed how much I enjoy using long pips to return serve. That still holds true.

However a week ago, on a whim, I began to ponder if an over the table loop is possible for players who primarily use the traditional penhold backhand like myself.

Why would I want to do this? Because in case you haven't noticed, the over the table loop has taken over in modern table tennis. It allows you take the first aggressive stroke right off the bat.

Simply watch Zhang Jike or Fan Zhendong return service and they will seemingly use this shot on 80% of short serves. Furthermore, these players will stretch around their forehand in order to perform this backhand return.

Fan Zhendong about the rip a heavy topspin attack on this short serve.
What about single sided Jpen users? What are their options?

Watch any of the classic single sided penhold players from back in the 80s & 90s and you will often seem them push these short serves. It works but what if they also want to attack? As a penholder you can expect to see plenty of serves to your backhand. Furthermore, as a lefty, I have to protect the open forehand side of the court opening my backhand to serves even more so.

Is this stoke possible with a single sided penhold? I think it is. It might turn out to be more of the flip variety (particularly vs pure backspin) but nonetheless, I'm looking to take the aggression right off the bat.

Here is a match where I am playing another penholder named Yi.
(who is far better than I am by the way)

In this match I am largely focusing on trying to over the table loop or flip short serves. I want to test this concept as well as try to take the aggression first vs Yi because if you don't, he will and that's not a good thing.


Backhand over the table loop notes: 
(click on the timed links below to go directly to the shot)

Game 1
0:06 - Serve: side/topspin - Didn't need to be over the table as the serve was long but the stroke was what I am practicing.
0:32 - Serve: side/topspin - Miss. Face of the paddle too open on contact.
0:54 - Serve: topspin - Good return.
1:46 - Serve: side/topspin - Miss.

Game 2
2:31 - Serve: backspin - Miss. Put it in the net. Needed to read the spin better & open the face of the blade.
2:54 - Not a flip but shows the beauty of playing certain points with the long pips.
3:00 - Serve: backspin - Miss. again too closed on the face. High bouncing serve. Should have hit that in.
3:57 - Again showing you how easy long pips is.
4:06 - Serve backspin - Complete mishit.

Game 3
5:25 - Serve: backspin - Finally hit this return in vs pure backspin. A little high for my liking but I'll take it.
5:46 - Serve: backspin - Hit it well long.

Game 4
6:49 - Serve: backspin - Took a little off this ball speed wise. But got it in play.
7:14 - Serve: backspin - This is just a nice example that the same method can be applied to the forehand.
7:22 - Serve: backspin - Again not really close.
7:50 - Serve: backspin - Again this method can be applied to the forehand.

Backhand flip attempts - 11
4 in
7 out

Need a lot of practice with this yet as it was realistically my first attempt at it. On an interesting note, watch Yi when I occasionally served to his backhand. It's not over the table but he's very good at this stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment